Skip to main content
Department: MSc Building Services Engineering
Module Description: HVAC System: Acquire a deep understanding of concepts of HVAC systems and its interaction with other operational building activities. Covers the principles of psychometrics and the various maintenance strategies, requirements and models including preventive and corrective maintenance. Emphasis is placed on the properties of humid air, thermal comfort, inside and outside design conditions. HVAC Systems design includes air and water, all water systems and unitary equipment.
Drainage sanitation and waste disposal. This element considers the design and selection of air and water distribution systems within buildings. It includes: The heating processes, Cold water demand and supply, hot water services, pipe sizing and pump selection, system testing and balancing, Duct design considerations - low and high velocity systems, fan characteristics and selection, system testing and balancing.
- Chadderton, D. V. (2013). Building services engineering. 6th edn. London: Routledge.
- Reddy, T. A., Kreider, J. F., Curtiss, P. S. and Rabl, A. (2017). Heating and cooling of buildings: principles and practice of energy efficient design. 3rd edn. CRC Press.
- Stein, B., Reynolds, J. S., Grondzik, W. T. and Kwok, A. G. (2014). Mechanical & electrical equipment for buildings. 12th edn. Wiley.
- ASHRAE (2016). 2016 Ashrae handbook : heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning systems and equipment. Atlanta, Georga: ASHRAE.
- CIBSE (2006). Comfort - CIBSE knowledge series: KS6. London: Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.
- CIBSE (2007). Commissioning Variable Flow Pipework Systems – CIBSE knowledge series: KS09. London : Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.
- CIBSE (2008). Refrigeration – CIBSE knowledge series: KS13. London : Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.
- CIBSE (2011). Indoor air quality and ventilation – CIBSE knowledge series: KS17. London: Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.
- CIBSE (2005). Heating, ventilating, air conditioning for UK bias: Guide B. London: Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.
- CIBSE Guides on the topic.
- Hall, F. and Greeno, R. (2017). Building services handbook. 9th edn. Elsevier, Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Stanford, H. W. (2011). HVAC water chillers and cooling towers: fundamentals, application and operation. 2nd edn. CRC Press.
- Sugarman, S. C. (2016). HVAC fundamentals. 3rd edn. Fairmont Press.