Skip to main content
Department: Master of Construction Law and Dispute Resolutions
Module Description: This module aims to provide a solid foundation in the different aspects of arbitration, with a specific focus on international commercial arbitration as it applies to construction, including issues which are specific to Dubai, the UAE and the wider Gulf Region.
- A H El-Ahdab, J El-Ahdab, Arbitration with the Arab Countries (3rd edn, Wolters Kluwer, Alphen aan den Rijn 2011).
- E Al-Tamimi, Practical Guide to Litigation and Arbitration in the United Arab Emirates (Kluwer Law International, Netherlands 2003).
- G. Blanke, Commentary on the UAE Arbitration Chapter (Thomson Reuters, 2017).
- H. Arab, L. Hammoud & G. Lovett (Editors), Summaries of UAE Courts’ Decisions on Arbitration (2nd edn, International Chamber of Commerce, 2017).
- N Blackaby and C Partasides, Redfern and Hunter on International Arbitration (6th edn, Oxford University Press, New York 2015).
- J Jenkins and S Stebbings, International Construction Arbitration Law (2nd rev. edn, Kluwer Law International, Netherlands 2013).
- P Capper, International Arbitration: A Handbook (3rd edn, LLP, London 2004).
- M Ismail and R A Koura, International Construction Contracts Arbitration in the MENA Region (Lambert, 2015).
- GB. Born, International Arbitration: Law and Practice (2nd edn.,Kluwer Law International, 2015).
Key indicative readings
- A Tweeddale, Arbitration of Commercial Disputes: International and English Law and Practice (Oxford University Press, Oxford 2007).
- O Alhyari, Challenging Arbitral Awards under the Model Law and Arab and English laws based thereon (VDM Verlag Dr. Müller Aktiengesellschaft & Co. KG, Germany 2009). Request PDF
- O Alhyari, Challenging an Arbitral Award on Jurisdiction under UAE Law”, P. 5, May 2015 Newsletter of the German Middle East Lawyers Association (GERMELA). Open resource
- O Alhyari, Does the Court under article 216 of the UAE Civil Procedures Law have the right to consider the validity of conversion of a sole establishment to an LLC company? December 2016, Lexis Middle East Law Alert.
- S Saleh, Commercial Arbitration in the Arab Middle East (2nd edn, Hart Publishing, Oxford 2006).
- J A Crook, What is Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)? (Chartered Institute of Arbitrators 2010).
- J A Tackaberry and A Marriott, Bernstein’s Handbook of Arbitration and Dispute Resolution Practice (4th edn, Sweet & Maxwell, London 2003, particularly Parts 2, 4, 5-7 and 9)
- A Perrochet and J Acret, Construction Arbitration Handbook (Clark Boardman Callaghan, 2015).
- S O Cheung (ed), Construction Dispute Research: Conceptualisation, Avoidance and Resolution (Springer, 2016).
- G B Born, International Arbitration: Cases and Materials (2nd edn, Aspen Publishers; null edition, 2015).
- A Elattar, Enforcement of International Arbitration Awards: A Comparative Study between Egypt, USA and the Gulf Cooperation Council (LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2013).