Skip to main content
Department: Portfolio of Master Programmes in Project Management
Module Description: This unit is designed to provide a foundational perspective on the challenges of managing projects by placing them in their organisational context and introducing students to the range of management issues that are incorporated in the ‘management of projects’ paradigm. The keynote lectures will also introduce students many of the subjects that will be considered in greater depth in the core and optional modules in the MSc Management of Projects. The unit will introduce students to the APM Body of Knowledge and PMI project management processes. Also the model will introduce students to recent advanced PM methodologies.
Key indicative readings
- Franz, P. and Kirchmer, M. (2012). Value-driven business process management. John Wiley & Sons.
- Kerzner, H. (2017). Project management: a systems approach to planning, scheduling, and controlling. 12th edn. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons. Knovel ebooks
- Kerzner, H. (2018). Project management best practices: achieving global excellence. 4th edn. John Wiley & sons
- Meredith, J. R. and Mantel, S. J. (2016). Project management: a managerial approach. 9th edn. John Wiley & sons.
- Pinto, J. K. (2019). Project management: achieving competitive advantage. 5th edn. Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Stal-Le Cardinal, J. and Marle, F. (2006). Project: the just necessary structure to reach your goals. International Journal of Project Management, vol. 24(3), pp. 226-233. Request this item
- Turner, J. (2006). Towards a theory of project management: the functions of project management. International Journal of Project Management, vol. 24 (3), pp. 187-189. Request this item