Skip to main content
Department: PhD : Architecture and Sustainable Built Environment
Module Description: This module offers an in-depth look at sustainable engineering practices in an urban design context. It aims to provide advanced knowledge on various aspects related to achieving smart and sustainable infrastructure including water resource management, materials, environmental performance, site planning and transportation-related issues. The delivery of this module will largely depend on offering an international perspective with case studies from around the world.
- Benedict, M.A. & McMahon, E.T. (2006). Green infrastructure: linking landscapes and communities. 2nd edn. Washington DC: Island Press.
- Binder, M.P. (2006). Integration of sustainable infrastructure at a neighbouring scale. Ann Arbor: ProQuest Information and Learning Company. Open access
- Gopalakrishnan, K. & Peeta, S. (ed.). (2010). Sustainable and resilient critical infrastructure systems. London: Springer.
- Hung, Y., Aquino, G., Waldheim, C., Czernaik, J., Geuze, A., Robinson, A. & Skjonsberg, M. (2013). Landscape infrastructure: case studies. Basel: Birkhäuser Architecture.
- Jenks, M. & Jones, C. (ed.). (2010). Dimensions of the sustainable city. London: Springer.
- Mazmanian, D.A. & Kraft, M.E. (ed.). (2009). Toward sustainable communities: transition and transformations in environmental policy. 2nd edn. Cambridge: Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Newman, P. & Jennings, I. (2008). Cities as sustainable ecosystems: principles and practices. Washington DC: Island Press.
- Shannon, K. & Smets, M. (2016). The landscape of contemporary infrastructure. Rotterdam: NAi Publishers.
- Suzuki, H., Dastur, A., Moffatt, S., Yabuki, N. & Maruyama, H. (2010). Eco2 cities: ecological cities as economic cities. Washington DC: The World Bank. Open access
- United Nations Human Settlements Programme (2009). Planning sustainable cities. London: Earthscan.
- Williams, K., Burton, E. & Jenks, M. (ed.). (2000). Achieving sustainable urban form. London: E & FN Spon.
- Yigitcanlar, T. (ed.). (2010). Sustainable urban and regional infrastructure development: technologies, applications and management. New York: Information Science Reference.