Skip to main content
Department: BSc Architecture
Module Description: This module introduces and tends to equip (via numerous assignments) students with the essential skills needed for freehand drawing (i.e. drawing done by hand without the use of tools or aids such as templates, stencils, tracing, etc.). It emphasises on the ability to have good command on the use of hand, improvement in observation skills which helps train the eye for better accuracy in estimating lengths and foreshortenings, and ability to concentrate to achieve better accuracy.
- Cruickshank, D. and Fletcher, B. (1996). Sir Banister Fletcher's a history of architecture. 20th edn. Oxford: Architectural Press.
- Kostof, S. (2010). A history of architecture : settings and rituals. 2nd edn. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press.
- Watkin, D. (2015). A history of western architecture. 6th edn. London: Laurence King Publishing.
- Sutton, I. (1999). Western architecture : from ancient Greece to the present. New York: Thames and Hudson.
- Summerson, J. and British Broadcasting Corporation. (1966). The classical language of architecture. Cambridge: M.I.T. Press.
- Trachtenberg, M. and Hyman, I. (2002). Architecture, from prehistory to postmodernity. 2nd edn. New York: Harry N. Abrams.
- Ching, F. D. K., Jarzombek, M. and Prakash, V. (2011). A global history of architecture. 2nd edn. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley.Roth, L. M. and Clark, A. C. R. (2014). Understanding architecture : its elements, history, and meaning. 3rd edn. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press.
- Trachtenberg, M. and Hyman, I. (1986). Architecture, from prehistory to post-modernism : the western tradition. New York: H.N. Abrams.