Skip to main content
Department: Master of Education
Module Description: This module examines some of the important, if sometimes controversial, areas of education in a globalised world: citizenship, responsibility for the environment, and the impact of human rights. The module tackles both conceptual and practical issues, looking at the meanings of being an active citizen and the implications for leadership, policy, management, and planning in educational organizations for the Gulf region, as well as principles for curricular goals and guidelines.
- Alexander, T. (2001). Citizenship schools: a practical guide to education for citizenship and personal development. London: Campaign for Learning.
- Bowers, C. A. (2001). Educating for eco-justice and community. London: University of Georgia Press.
- Cohen, R. & Rai, R. (2000). Global social movements. London: Continuum.
- Davies, I., Gregory, I. & Riley, S. (1999). Good citizenship and educational provision. London: RoutledgeFalmer.
- Edwards, M. & Gaventa, J. (2001). Global citizen action. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers.
- Ivans, K. (1998). Shaping futures: learning for competence and citizenship. Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Fenwick, H. (2011). Q & A Civil liberties and human rights. 5th edn. London: Routledge.
- Griffith, R. (1998). Educational citizenship and independent learning. London: Jessica Kingsley.
- Holden, C. & Clough, N. (eds). (1998). Children as citizens: education for participation. Vol.5. London: Jessica Kingsley.
- Ichilov, O. (1998). Citizenship and citizenship education in a changing world. London: Woburn Press.
- Limage, L. (ed.). (2001). Democratising education and educating democratic citizens: international and historical perspectives. New York: RoutledgeFalmer.
- Osler, A. & Starkey, H. (2005). Changing citizenship: democracy and inclusion in education. Berkshire: Open University Press.
- Pearce, N. & Hallgarten, J. (eds). (2000). Tomorrow's citizens: critical debates in citizenship and education. London: Institute for Public Policy Research.
- Schweisfurth, M., Davies, L. & Harber, C. (eds). (2002). Learning democracy and citizenship: international experiences. Oxford: Symposium Books.
- Scott, D. & Lawson, H. (2002). Citizenship education and the curriculum. Ablex Publishing.
- Scott, W. & Gough, S. (2003). Sustainable development and learning: framing the issues. London: Routledge Falmer.
- Wilde, S. (ed.). (2005). Political and citizenship education. Oxford: Symposium Books.