Skip to main content
Department: UG - General Education
Module Description: This module is intended for non-native English speaking high school graduates who wish to join an undergraduate programme where the medium of instruction is English, and who have an English Language Level of TOEFL 500 or IELTS 5. This module also consolidates previous language learning and through a critical thinking framework prepares students for academic life. Taking into account individual needs, this programme aims to homogenise standards of achievement.
Critical thinking is a fundamental component of academic life. It is an essential skill when reading academic texts, and writing essays and reports, or taking part in lectures, seminars and debates.
- Campbell, C. and Smith, J. (2009). English for academic study: listening, course book. Reading, U.K.: Garnet Publishing.
- Cottrell, S. (2013). The study skills handbook. 4th edn. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Philpot, S. (2006). New headway academic skills: reading, writing, and study skills, student’s book. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Slaght, J. and Harben, P. (2009). English for academic study: reading, course book. Reading, U.K.: Garnet Publishing.
- Burgmeier, A. (2009). Inside reading: the academic wordlist in context. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Cox, K. and Hill, D. (2004). EAP Now! Australia: Pearson.
- Jordon, R.R. (1999). Academic writing course: study skills in English. 3rd edn. Essex: Longman.
- McCarthy, M. and O’Dell, F. (2016). Academic vocabulary in use. 2nd edn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- O’Dell, D. and Head, K. (2003). Games for vocabulary practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Oshima, A. and Hogue, A. (2016). Academic writing. 5th edn. New York: Pearson Education.
- Redman, S., Ellis, K. and Viney, B. (1997). A way with words: resource pack 1, vocabulary activities for lower intermediate to intermediate learners. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Waters, M. and Waters, A. (1995). Study skills in English: student’s book. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.