Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Department: UG - General Education
Module Description: This module is intended for non-native English speaking high school graduates who have joined an undergraduate programme where the medium of is English, and who have an English Language Level of TOEFL500 or IELTS 5. This module also consolidates previous language learning and through a critical thinking framework continues to prepare students for academic life.
Critical thinking is a fundamental component of academic life. It is an essential skill when reading academic texts, and writing essays and reports, or taking part in lectures, seminars and debates.
- Campbell, C. and Smith, J. (2009). English for academic study: listening, course book. Reading, U.K.: Garnet Publishing.
- Cottrell, S. (2013). The study skills handbook. 4th edn. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- (2006). New headway academic skills: reading, writing, and study skills, student’s book. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Slaght, J. and Harben, P. (2009). English for academic study: reading, course book. Reading, U.K.: Garnet Publishing.
- Brooks, J. (2016). Transferable academic skills kit: teachers book. Reading: Garnet Education. (University foundation study).
- Burgmeier, A. (2013). Inside reading: the academic wordlist in context. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- Cox, K. & Hill, D. (2011). EAP now! 2nd edn. Frenchs Forest, N.S.W.: Pearson Australia.
- Jordon, R.R. (1999). Academic writing course: study skills in English. 3rd edn. Longman, Essex.
- Manning, A., Norris, L. & University of Reading. (2007). University foundation study: course book. Reading, UK: Garnet Education.
- Manning, A., Wilding, E., Harvey, P. & University of Reading. (2007). University foundation study: course book. Reading, UK: Garnet Education.
- McCarthy, M. & O'Dell, F. (2016). Academic vocabulary in use: vocabulary reference and practice, self-study and classroom use. 2nd edn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Nukui, C. (2007. University foundation study: critical thinking course book. University of Reading: Garnet Publishing.
- Nukui, C., Norris, L., McGarry, F. & University of Reading. (2007). University foundation study: course book. Reading: Garnet Publishing.
- O'Dell, F. & Head, K. (2003). Games for vocabulary practice: interactive vocabulary activities for all levels. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Oshima, A. & Hogue, A. (2014). Academic writing. 5th edn. Longman N.Y.
- Redman, S., Ellis, R., Viney, B. & McCarthy, M. (1996). A way with words: vocabulary activities, lower intermediate to intermediate. resource pack 1. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Waters, M. & Waters, A (1995). Study skills in English: student’s book. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.