Skip to main content
Department: MSc Systems Engineering
Module Description: This module will enable students to gain knowledge and understanding on a wide range of high performance engineering materials. It will provide scientific and practical information on the selected materials. The module covers materials, including concrete, steel, fiber reinforced cement, fiber reinforced plastics, polymeric materials, geosynthetics, masonry materials and coatings. It discusses the scientific bases for the manufacture and use of these high performance materials. Testing and application examples are also included.
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) (2013). Duct design, in 2013 ASHRAE fundamentals handbook. Ch. 21. Atlanta: ASHRAE.
- Awbi, H. (2003). Ventilation of buildings. 2nd edn. London: Spon Press.
- Balcomb, J.D. (ed.). (1992). Passive solar buildings. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Bower, J. (2000). Healthy house building for the new millennium: a design and construction guide. Bloomington, IN: The Healthy House Institute.
- Coaton, J.R. and Marsden, A.M. (1997). Lamps and lighting. Oxford: Butterworth- Heinemann.
- Duffie, J.A. and Beckman, W.A. (2011). Solar engineering of thermal processes. 4th edn. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
- Giordano, F.R., Weir, M.D. and Fox W.P. (2014). A first course in mathematical modelling. 5th edn. Australia: Thompson Brooks/Cole.
- Haines, R.W. and Hittle, D.C. (2006). Control systems for heating, ventilating and air conditioning. 6th edn. New York: Springer.
- Hunn, B.D. (1996). Fundamentals of building energy dynamics. Cambridge: The MIT Press.
- Janis, R.R. and Tao, W.K. Y. (2009). Mechanical and electrical systems in buildings. 4th edn. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall.
- Kuo, B. and Golnaraghi, F. (2017). Automatic control systems. 10th edn. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons.
- Lechner, N. (2014). Heating, cooling and lighting: sustainable design methods for architects. 4th edn. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons.
- Nagrath, I. J. and Gopal, M. (2008). Control systems engineering. 5th edn. Kent, UK: Anshan.
- Nise, N.S. (2011). Control systems engineering. 6th edn. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons.
- Palm, W. J. (1986). Control systems engineering. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Skogestad, S. and Postlethwaite, I. (2005). Multivariable feedback control: analysis and design. 2nd edn. West Sussex, England: John Wiley & Sons.
- Smith, C.A. and Corripio, A.B. (2006). Principles and practices of automatic process control. 3rd edn. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Stadmiller, D.J. (2004). Electronics: project management and design. New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Tewari, A. (2002). Modern control system design with MATLAB and SIMULINK. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
- Underwood, C.P. and Yik, F.W.H. (2004). Modelling methods for energy methods in buildings. Oxford: Blackwell Science.
- Williams, G. (2011). Linear algebra with applications. 7th edn. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- Wright, R.T. and Boorse, D.F. (2017). Environmental science: towards a sustainable future. 13th edn. Upper Saddle, NJ: Pearson Education.