Skip to main content
Department: Master of Business Administration
Module Description: The purpose of this module is to provide a comprehensive understanding of marketing research techniques and methods applicable for marketing studies, including quantitative, qualitative, and mixed research techniques, with focus on surveys and analysing data with SPSS. In this module, students will apply the contents of the module in a practical marketing research problem by preparing a research proposal and conducting a marketing research. The course aims to help students to recognize the importance of marketing research, how to define a business problem and develop a research plan, as well as learning techniques for gathering, analysing, and reporting data for making marketing decisions, and understanding the contributions and limitations of marketing research.
Key indicative readings
- Collis, J. and Hussey, R. (2014). Business research: a practical guide for undergraduate and postgraduate students. 4th edn. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Di Gregorio, S. and Davidson, J. (2008). Qualitative research design for software users. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Gill, J. and Johnson, P. (2010). Research methods for managers. 4th edn. London: Sage Publications.
- Naoum, S. G. (2013). Dissertation research and writing for construction students. 3rd edn. Oxford: Butterworth and Heinemann.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P. and Thornhill, A. (2019). Research methods for business students. 8th edn. Harlow: Prentice Hall.
- Silverman, D. (2016). Qualitative research: issues of theory, method and practice. 4th edn. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Yin, R. K. (2014). Case study research: design and methods. 5th edn. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Barrett, P. S. and Barrett, L. C. (2003). Research as a kaleidoscope on practice. Construction Management and Economics, vol. 21, pp. 755-766.
- Dembowski, S. and Hanmer-Lloyd, S. (1995). Computer applications – a new road to qualitative data analysis. European Journal of Marketing, vol. 29(11), pp. 50-62.
- Holliday, A. (2016). Doing and writing qualitative research. 3rd edn. London: Sage Publications.
- Myers, M. (2013). Qualitative research in business and management. 2nd edn. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.