Skip to main content
Department: PhD in Business Management & PhD in Project Management
Module Description: The aim of this module is to teach the principles and technologies of knowledge management in the context of projectised organisations. A case study approach, as and where appropriate, will be adopted in introducing the course contents. The module covers the fundamental concepts in the study of knowledge and its creation, representation, dissemination, use and re-use, and management. The focus is on methods, techniques, and tools for computer support of knowledge management, knowledge acquisition and knowledge sharing in projectised organisations.
- Ochieng, E., Price, A. and Moore, D. (2017). Major infrastructure projects : planning for delivery. London: Macmillan Education/Palgrave.
Indicative key readings
- Graham, A.K. (2000). Beyond PM 101: lessons for managing large development programmes. Project Management Journal, vol. 31(4), pp. 7-18. Request this item
- Pellegrinelli, S., Partington, D., Hemingway, C., Mohdzain, Z. and Shah, M. (2007). The importance of context in programme management: an empirical review of programme practices. International Journal of Project Management, vol. 25(1), pp. 41-55. Request PDF
- Shehua, Z. and Akintoyeb, A. (2010). Major challenges to the successful implementation and practice of programme management in the construction environment: A critical analysis. International Journal of Project Management, vol. 28(1), pp. 26-39. Request PDF
- Vereecke, A., Pandelaere, E., Deschoolmeester, D. and Stevens, M. (2003). A classification of development programmes and its consequences for programme management. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, vol. 23(10), pp. 1279–1290.
- Virine, L. and Trumper M. (2007). Project decisions: the art and science. Vienna: Management Concepts.
- Wideman, R. M. (1992). Project and program risk management: a guide to managing project risks and opportunities. Newtown Square, PA: Project Management Institute.
- Abednego, M. P. and Ogunlanaa, S. O. (2006). Good project governance for proper risk allocation in public–private partnerships in Indonesia. International Journal of Project Management, vol. 24(7), pp. 622-634. Request this item
- Binder, J. (2007). Global project management: communication, collaboration and management across borders. Surrey, England: Gower.
- Bourne, L. and Walker, D.H.T. (2008). Project relationship management and the stakeholder circle. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, vol. 1(1), pp. 125–130.
- Charette, R.N. (1996). Large-scale project management is risk management. IEEE Software, vol. 13(4), pp. 110-117.
- Cooper, D.F., Grey, S., Raymond, G. and Walker, P. (2004). Project risk management guidelines: managing risk in large projects and complex procurements. West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons.
- Department for Business Innovation and Skills. (2010). Understanding programmes and programme management Open resource
- Ellram, L. M. (1997). Supply chain management: the industrial organisation perspective. IJPD & LM, vol. 21 (1), pp. 13-22. Request this item
- Ferns, D. C. (1991). Developments in programme management. International Journal of Project Management, vol. 9(3), pp. 148-156. Request this item
- Gardiner, P. D. (2005). Project management: a strategic planning approach. Basingtoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Hass, K. B. (2009). Managing complex projects: a new model. Vienna, VA: Management Concepts.
- Horwitch, M. (1984). Managing large-scale programs: the managerial dilemma. Technology in Society, vol. 6(2), pp. 161-171. Request this item
- Kemp, R. and Loorbach, D. (2006). ‘Transition management: a reflexive governance approach’, in J. Voss, R. Kemp & D. Bauknecht (eds). Reflexive Governance for Sustainable Development. Glos, UK: Edward Elgar, pp. 103-130. Request this item
- Kettner, P. M., Moroney, R.M., Martin, L.L. (2017). Designing and managing programs: an effectiveness-based approach. 5th edn. Los Angeles, CA: Sage.
- Lam, J. (2014). Enterprise risk management: from incentives to controls [online]. 2nd edn. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
- Larson, E. (1997). Partnering on construction projects: a study of the relationship between partnering activities and project success. IEEE Transactions of Engineering Management, vol. 44 (2), pp. 188-195 Request this item
- Lycett, M., Rassau, A. and Danson, J. (2004). Programme management: a critical review. International Journal of Project Management, vol. 22(4), pp. 289-299. Request this item
- Müller, R. and Turner, J. R. (2007). Matching the project manager’s leadership style to project type. International Journal of Project Management, vol. 25(1), pp. 21-32. Request this item
- National Audit Office. (2012). The London 2012 Olympic games and Paralympic games: post-games review [online]. Report by the Comptroller and Auditor General’ HC 794 Session 2012-13: 5 December 2012. Open resource
- National Audit Office. (2000). The millennium dome [online]. Report by the Comptroller and Auditor General’ HC 936 Session 1999-2000: 9 November 2000. Open resource
- National Audit Office. (2010). The national programme for IT in the NHS: an update on the delivery of detailed care records systems [online]. Report by the Comptroller and Auditor General’ HC 888 Session 2010-2012: 18 May 2011. Open resource
- Office of Government Commerce. (2007). Managing successful programmes. 3rd edn. The Stationary Office
- Partingtona, D., Pellegrinelli, S. and Young, M. (2005). Attributes and levels of programme management competence: an interpretive study. International Journal of Project Management, vol. 23(2), pp. 87-95.
- Payne, S.L. and Calton, J.M. (2002). ‘Toward a managerial practice of stakeholder engagement: developing multi-stakeholder learning dialogues’, in J. Andriof, S. Waddock, S. Rahman and B. Husted (eds). Unfolding stakeholder thinking. Sheffield, UK: Greenleaf Press. Request this item
- Pearlson, E. and Saunders, C. (2016). Managing and using information systems: a strategic approach. 6th edn. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
- Shank, J. F., Yardley, R., Riposo, J., Thie, H., Keating, E., Arena, M. V., Pung, H., Birkler, J. and Chiesa, J. R. (2005). Options for reducing costs in the United Kingdom’s future aircraft carrier (CVF) programme [online]. Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. Open resource
- Shank, J. F., Lacroix, F. W., Murphy, R. E., Arena, M. V. and Lee, G. T. (2011). Learning from experience. Volume I. Lessons from the submarine programmes of the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia [online]. Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. Open resource
- Shank, J. F., Lacroix, F. W., Murphy, R. E., Ip, C., Arena, M. V. and Lee, G. T. (2011). Learning from experience. Volume III. Lessons from the United Kingdom’s astute submarine programme [online]. Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. Open resource
- Sutterfield, J. S., Friday-Stroud, S. S. and Shivers, S. L. (2006). A case study of project and stakeholder management failures: lessons learned. Project Management Journal, vol. 37(5), pp. 26-36. Request this item
- Szymczak, C.C. and Walker, D.H.T. (2003). Boeing: a case study example of enterprise project management from a learning organisation perspective. The Learning Organization, vol. 10(3), pp. 125-137.
- Thiry, M. (2002). Combining value and project management into an effective programme management model. International Journal of Project Management, vol. 20(3), pp. 221-227. Request this item
- Turner, J.R. and Speusera, A. (1992). Programme management and its information systems requirements. International Journal of Project Management, vol. 10(4), pp. 196-206. Request this item
- Turner, J. R. and Anne K. A. (2001). Mechanisms of governance in the project-based organization: roles of the broker and steward. European Management Journal, vol. 19(3), pp. 254-267. Request this item