Skip to main content
Department: PhD in Project Management
Module Description: This module is designed to provide advanced knowledge and higher level of understanding of the use of systems thinking and dynamic modelling to address the complexity in project management.
Key indicative readings
- Abdel-Hamid, T. (1988). Understanding the ‘90% Syndrome’ in software project management: a simulation-based case study. The Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 8, pp. 319-330. Request this item
- Cooper, K. and Lee, G. (2009). Managing the dynamics of projects and changes at Fluor [online]. Kenneth Cooper and Fluor Corporation. Request PDF
- Lyneis, J. M., Cooper, K. G. & Els, S. A. (2001). Strategic management of complex projects: a case study using system dynamics. System Dynamics Review, vol. 17(3), pp. 237-260.
- Lyneis, J. M. and Ford, D. (2007). System dynamics applied to project management: a survey, assessment, and directions for future research. System Dynamics Review, vol. 23(2,3) (50th Anniversary Special Issue, Summer/Fall 2007), pp. 157-189.
- Senge, P. M. (2006). The fifth discipline: the art and practice of learning organization. London: Random House Business Books.
- Feniosky, P. M. and Park, M. (2001). Dynamic planning for fast-tracking building construction projects. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 127 (6).
- Ford, D. N. and Sterman, J. D. (1998). Dynamic modelling of product development processes. System Dynamics Review, vol. 14(1), pp. 31-68.
- Ford, D. N. and Sterman, J. D. (2003). The liar's club: concealing rework in concurrent development. Concurrent Engineering Research and Applications, vol. 11(3), pp. 211-219. Request this item
- Forrester, J. W. (2013). Industrial dynamics. Massachusetts: MIT Press.
- Forrester, J. W. and Senge, P. (1980). ‘Tests for building confidence in system dynamics models’, in J.W. Forrester and J. Lyneis (eds). System dynamics: TIMS studies in the management sciences 14 [online]. New York: North Holland, pp. 209-228. Request PDF
- Repenning, N. P. and Sterman, J. D. (2001). Nobody gets the credit for fixing problems that never happened: creating and sustaining process improvement. California Management Review, vol. 43 (4), pp. 64-88.
- Rodrigues, A. G. and Williams, T. M. (1998). System dynamics in project management: assessing the impacts of client behaviour on project performance. Journal of Operations Research Society, vol. 49 (1), pp. 2-15. Request this item
- Senge, P. M., Kleiner, A., Roberts, C., Ross, R. and Smith, B. (1994). The fifth discipline fieldbook: strategies and tools for building a learning organization. London: Nicholas Brealey.
- Simon, H. (1979). Rational decision making in business organizations. American Economic Review, vol. 69, pp. 493-513.
- Sterman, J. D. (1992). System dynamics modelling for project management: a working paper [online]. Sloan School of Management. Cambridge, MA: MIT. Request PDF