Skip to main content
Department: MSc Sustainable Design in the Built Environment
Module Description: The module will prepare students for playing a participatory role in the practice of designing passive buildings. It will demonstrate techniques for selecting strategies appropriate to climate and brief, and introduce passive methods of lighting, heating, and cooling buildings. It will introduce simple manual ways for assessing the effectiveness of design decisions, as well as giving students opportunities for furthering their use of current environmental software. The discussion of strategies will be given an international context for a wide applicability scope. The module content is backed up by self-learning material for both manual and simulation techniques. Further support for the learning will come from the module final project assignment.
- Athienitis, A. K. and Santamouris, M. (2002) Thermal analysis and design of passive solar buildings. London: James & James.
- Balcomb, J. D. (1992). Passive solar buildings. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press (Solar heat technologies, 7).
- Barry, R.G. and R. J. Chorley. (2010). Atmosphere, weather & climate. 9th edn. Routledge.
- Duffie, J. A. and Beckman, W. A. (2013). Solar engineering of thermal processes. 4th edn. Hoboken: John Wiley.
- Gartland, L. (2008). Heat islands. Earthscan.
- Givoni, B. (1994) Passive and low energy cooling of buildings. New York: John Wiley.
- Givoni, B. (1998). Climate considerations in building and urban design. New York: Wiley.
- Littlefair, P. (2000). Environmental site layout planning: solar access, microclimate and passive cooling in urban areas. London: CRC (BR 380).
- Herzog, T. et al. (1996). Solar energy in architecture and urban planning. Munich: Prestel.
- Hestnes, A. G. et al. (2003). Solar energy houses: strategies, technologies, examples. 2nd edn. London: James & James.
- Oke, T.R. (1987). Boundary layer climates. Chapters 7 & 8 only. London: Methuen.
- Ritchie, A. and Thomas, R. (2009). Sustainable urban design: an environmental approach. 2nd edn. London: Taylor & Francis.
- Roaf, S., Crichton, D. and Nicol, F. (2009). Adapting buildings and cities for climate change : a 21st century survival guide. 2nd edn. Amsterdam: Architectural Press.
- Santamouris, M. and Asimakopoulos, D. N. (2001). Energy and climate in the urban built environment. London: James X James.
- Smith, P. F. (2008). Architecture in a climate of change: a guide to sustainable design. Second edn. Amsterdam: Elsevier/Architectural Press.
- Santamouris, M. and Asimakopoulos, D. N. (1996). Passive cooling of buildings. London: James & James.