Skip to main content
Department: MSc Sustainable Design in the Built Environment
Module Description: This course provides an overview of all aspects of intelligent buildings including definitions, design, components, construction, management strategies, effects on the environment, and future trends. An ‘intelligent building’ is inherently of an efficient and environmentally friendly design, acquiring building automation. There is a very strong synergy between an intelligent building design, and green building standards and certification schemes. An intelligent building also optimizes occupants’ circulation and networking enhancing their collaboration, productivity, and creativeness for smart built environments showing total building performance.
- Ahuja, A. (1997). Integrated M/E design: building systems engineering. New York, NY: Chapman & Hall.
- Best, R. & de Valence, G. (ed.). (1999). Building in value: pre-design issues. Amsterdam: Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Blank, L.T. & Tarquin, A.J. (2014). Basics of engineering economy. 2nd edn. Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill Higher-Education.
- Chan, W. & So, A.P. (1999). Intelligent building systems. Boston: Kluwer Academic.
- Clements-Croome, D. (2013). Intelligent buildings: design, management and operation. 2nd edn. London: Thomas Telford.
- Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Sonnenenergie (DSC). (2013). Planning & installing photovoltaic systems: a guide to installer, architects and engineers. 3rd edn. London: Earthscan.
- Gann, D.M. (2000). Building Innovation: complex constructs in a changing world. London, UK: Thomas Telford.
- Groak, S. (1992). The idea of building: thought and action in the design and production of buildings. Oxon, OX: Taylor & Francis.
- Janis, R.R. & Tao, W.K.Y. (2009). Mechanical and electrical systems in buildings. 4th edn. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Prentice Hall.
- McMullan, R. (2018). Environmental science in building. 8th edn. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wigginton, M. & Harris, J. (2002). Intelligent skins. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Wright, R. & Boorse, D.F. (2017). Environmental science: toward a sustainable future. 13th edn. Harlow, Engalnd: Pearson.