Skip to main content
Department: BSc Elective
Module Description: This module is an introduction to the interdisciplinary field of diversity and multiculturalism studies. The module will focus on acquiring an understanding of basic concepts, theories and models of diversity and multiculturalism as well as their basic social, cultural and political dimensions, including a number of recent areas of controversy, such as governance and multicultural management. The module will also cover the field on an international level, including information on case studies, particularly those relevant to the UAE and region, that have to do with cultural and social issues in organisations with multicultural staff, leadership in a multicultural society, and providing services for a diverse and multicultural population.
- Banks, J. and McGee Banks, C. (eds.). (2016). Multicultural education: issues and perspectives. 9th edn. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons.
- Barry, B. (2002). Culture and equality: an egalitarian critique of multiculturalism. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Kymlicka, W. (1995). Multicultural citizenship: a liberal theory of minority rights. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kymlicka, W. (2001). Politics in the vernacular: nationalism, multiculturalism, and citizenship. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kymlicka, W. (2007). Multicultural odysseys: navigating the new international politics of diversity. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kymlicka, W. and Bashir, B. (eds). (2008). The politics of reconciliation in multicultural societies. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kymlicka, W. and Norman, W. (eds). (2000). Citizenship in diverse societies. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Modood, T. (2007). Multiculturalism. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Phillips, A. (2007). Multiculturalism without culture. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Taylor, C. (1992). Multiculturalism and the politics of recognition. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Young, I. M. (1990). Justice and the politics of difference. Princeton: Princeton University Press.